Aubergine, Tomato & Chickpea Stew with Quinoa Pilaf for Caterers
A Rich, Red-wine Infused Stew
- Quinoa Pilaf (see below)
- Plain vegan yoghurt (eg Alpro/Provamel/Sojade/Sojasun)
- Hot pitta bread
- Rice – brown or white
- Roasted butternut squash or sweet potatoes
- Mash with olive oil and fresh herbs
- Vegan sour crème in multiple quantities
3.5-4L hot vegan stock: home made/Green Oxo/Marigold vegan bouillon (red or purple tubs); Kallo vegan stock cubes
2 x 350g jars olives: black, green or mixed - drained and roughly chopped
2 jars or packs of sundried tomatoes, drained and chopped with scissors
1. Heat the oil and sauté the onions. Salt the aubergine pieces, add them to the onions and sauté for another few minutes.
2. Add the rest of the vegetables and sauté for a few minutes.
3. Add the chickpeas, tinned tomatoes and the rest of the ingredients. Cook until the vegetables are tender.
4. Serve hot, with Quinoa Pilaf and/or other serving suggestions, as above.
5. Quinoa Pilaf. Dry roast the quinoa in a large pot for 1-2 minutes, stirring so it doesn't burn. Add the stock and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Add more water/stock if it starts to stick. Add the olives and sundried tomatoes, mix in well and heat through before serving.
Give us your email address and we'll deliver delicious animal free recipes straight to your inbox each week.
What originally started life as the VVF’s subscription-based vegetarian recipe club, has become a bound, colourful introduction to vegetarian & vegan nutrition, with an emphasis on getting your essential vits through veggies.
A delicious veggie and vegan variation on a traditional Greek recipe - and...
Red Lentil Dahl – a spicy lentil sauce used all over the Indian...
Viva!’s own Tony Wardle invented this superb dish – it was a...
Delicious mellow, creamy curry with coconut and chickpeas to suit the most...
These are great for an afternoon snack on a warm summers day.
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask Jane, our vegan guru!
Do you have a wonderful vegetarian recipe idea?
Got a veggie cookery quandary or vegan dietary dilemma that's not answered here?
Want to know more about vegan nutrition?
Want to find out more about going veggie?
Jane@vegetarian.org.uk or call 0117 9705190.