2 large aubergines
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
85g/3oz mushrooms, finely chopped
50g/2oz rolled oats
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp tomato purée
4 tbsp passata (sieved tomatoes, sold in jars or cartons)
1 tbsp fresh bouquet garni OR 1 tsp mixed dried herbs
Salt and black pepper
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 spring onion, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato purée
1⁄2 tsp brown sugar
12 fresh basil leaves, chopped OR 2 tsp dried basil
1. Bring a large pan of water to the boil and place both whole aubergines in it. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 350ºF/180ºC/Gas Mark 4.
2. Drain the aubergines, chop off the stem ends, slice them in half lengthways and allow to cool. Scoop out the aubergine flesh - but leave enough around the sides so that they don’t collapse.
3. Chop the flesh, and fry in oil with the onion for about 5 minutes until the aubergine is browned.
4. Add the garlic and mushrooms and fry for a further few minutes. Stir in the tomato purée, passata and oats and stir over a low heat until the oats are softened. (Add extra oil, passata or water if the mixture is too dry.)
5. Remove from heat, add the bouquet garni, salt and pepper, and mix well. Place the aubergine skins on a greased baking tray and fill them with the mixture. Place in the centre of oven for 15 minutes.
6. Meanwhile make the tomato sauce. Gently fry the garlic and onion in the oil for a few minutes. Add the remaining sauce ingredients and warm gently on lowest heat.
7. Remove the aubergines from the oven and serve topped with tomato sauce.
Give us your email address and we'll deliver delicious animal free recipes straight to your inbox each week.
What originally started life as the VVF’s subscription-based vegetarian recipe club, has become a bound, colourful introduction to vegetarian & vegan nutrition, with an emphasis on getting your essential vits through veggies.
Not only is this rich torte a piece of chocolate heaven, it’s...
A Right Royal Veggie and Vegan Coronation Chicken Sarnie!
The dried chestnuts give the rice a sweet and extra nutty flavour. This is...
This ginger cake is very moist and sweet - as it uses crystalised ginger...
Oven-Baked Sweet Potato and Red Pepper Soup
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask Jane, our vegan guru!
Do you have a wonderful vegetarian recipe idea?
Got a veggie cookery quandary or vegan dietary dilemma that's not answered here?
Want to know more about vegan nutrition?
Want to find out more about going veggie?
Jane@vegetarian.org.uk or call 0117 9705190.