Cauliflower Cheeze with Sweet Potatoes & Tangy Green Salad
A rather delicious vegan variation on an old favourite! Here, we serve it with sweet potatoes and a watercress and rocket salad - but it would go with other things nicely, depending on your budget and what is in season.
2 large sweet potatoes each sliced lengthways and pricked with a knife in several places
1 large or 2 medium cauliflower, chopped into florets
Portion of Cheezy Sauce (see below)
2 tomatoes,sliced thinly
Salt and black pepper
Cheezy Sauce: blend together
180ml/6fl oz water + 2 tbsp
6 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes (Engevita/Marigold yeast flakes sold in good health stores)
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 medium shallot chopped fine. Use 1 tbsp finely chopped red onion if you can't find shallots
2 tbsp light miso
Large bunch of watercress, washed and spun
Large bunch of rocket, washed and spun
Vinaigrette dressing of your choice
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C /375°F/ Gas Mark 5.
2. Place the potato halves in the oven and bake for 30-60 minutes, depending on size of pieces - shorten this time by partially cooking in a microwave if necessary.
3. Meanwhile, steam the cauliflower for 7 minutes, or until tender but not mushy.
4. While cauliflower is cooking, make the Cheezy Sauce. Warm it through gently, but don't boil.
5. Check seasoning and adjust if necessary.
6. In a heatproof dish, mix the cauliflower with half of the Cheezy Sauce. Top with the rest of the sauce.
7. Sprinkle with black pepper.
8. Arrange sliced tomatoes on top and sprinkle with paprika.
9. About halfway through the potato cooking time, place Cauliflower Cheeze in oven and cook with the potatoes.
10. After about 20 minutes check the Cauli Cheeze - remove if it's getting too brown on top and keep warm.
11. Meanwhile, make the salad and vinaigrette and set aside.
Give us your email address and we'll deliver delicious animal free recipes straight to your inbox each week.
What originally started life as the VVF’s subscription-based vegetarian recipe club, has become a bound, colourful introduction to vegetarian & vegan nutrition, with an emphasis on getting your essential vits through veggies.
A coconut-rich soup with red pepper, sweetcorn and a hint of fresh ginger -...
This festive recipe is taken from ...
Men's extra: 1 poppadum (37 cals)...
A lovely - yet quick and easy - twist on the usual tomato/onion/garlic sauce...
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask Jane, our vegan guru!
Do you have a wonderful vegetarian recipe idea?
Got a veggie cookery quandary or vegan dietary dilemma that's not answered here?
Want to know more about vegan nutrition?
Want to find out more about going veggie?
Jane@vegetarian.org.uk or call 0117 9705190.