Classic Nut Roast
Simple but tasty, this classic nut roast is very good with any of our gravy recipes. Adapted from 'Easy Vegan Cooking' by Leah Leneman
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 small tomatoes
30g/1oz wholemeal flour
140ml/5fl oz water
1 tbsp soya sauce
115g/4oz broken cashew nuts
85g/3oz wholemeal breadcrumbs
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
2 tbsp soya flour, available from health food shops
Optional: pine nuts to scatter on the top - add about 10 minutes before the end of baking time or else they will burn
1. Score the tomato skins, place in a cup and top with boiling hot water.
2. Chop the onion finely and sauté it in the oil until tender.
3. Preheat the oven to 350ºF/180°C/Gas Mark 4.
4. Skin and chop the tomatoes and add them to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the flour and slowly add the water, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Remove from the heat.
4. Grind the hazelnuts and add them to the sauce together with all the other ingredients. Mix very thoroughly and place in a greased bread tin or pie dish. Bake in a moderate oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Serve with gravy and seasonal vegetables.
Give us your email address and we'll deliver delicious animal free recipes straight to your inbox each week.
What originally started life as the VVF’s subscription-based vegetarian recipe club, has become a bound, colourful introduction to vegetarian & vegan nutrition, with an emphasis on getting your essential vits through veggies.
Lovely, lovely – smooth, aromatic and with a divine roast and smoky...
Another sure-fire recipe from Rose Elliot – one of those easy and...
A rich, soft Mocha Cake, combining two wonderful flavours.
Getting kids to eat lots of fruit and veg is greatly helped by some...
A really simple recipe that bakes while you prepare other things. We’...
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask Jane, our vegan guru!
Do you have a wonderful vegetarian recipe idea?
Got a veggie cookery quandary or vegan dietary dilemma that's not answered here?
Want to know more about vegan nutrition?
Want to find out more about going veggie?
Jane@vegetarian.org.uk or call 0117 9705190.