Sundried Tomato & Asparagus Pasta with Pesto
A lovely pasta dish, can be eaten hot or cold. Vegan pesto (eg Meridian) is easily available in health food shops or supermarket Free From shelves. For a luxury version, try Seggiano - raw basil pesto to die for. Or impress and make your own pesto It only takes a minute in a food processor!
Follow our link to learn how to prepare and cook asparagus if you have never done so before.
250g/8oz fusilli or penne pasta
1⁄2 pack sun dried tomatoes, soaked in hot water then chopped with scissors into bite sized pieces
Half a bunch of fresh asparagus chopped into 2cm/1" pieces
4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped but not crushed
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Half a jar of vegan pesto (eg Meridian, Zest, Seggiano) or make your own
2 tsp dried herbs such as basil or oregano OR a handful fresh coriander, chopped
freshly ground black pepper/salt
1. Cook pasta in a pan of boiling water for 10 minutes or according to taste. Steam the asparagus for a few minutes now also - don't overcook. Drain the pasta when it is ready.
2. Add 1 tbsp of the olive oil to stop pasta sticking.
3. Add the cooked asparagus to the cooked,drained pasta.
4. Add coriander or dried herbs, followed by sundried tomatoes.
5. In a saucepan, heat the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil, add chopped garlic and fry gently until lightly browned.
6. Add this oil and garlic mix to pasta and stir in carefully but thoroughly.
7. Add salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper and serve.
Give us your email address and we'll deliver delicious animal free recipes straight to your inbox each week.
What originally started life as the VVF’s subscription-based vegetarian recipe club, has become a bound, colourful introduction to vegetarian & vegan nutrition, with an emphasis on getting your essential vits through veggies.
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask Jane, our vegan guru!
Do you have a wonderful vegetarian recipe idea?
Got a veggie cookery quandary or vegan dietary dilemma that's not answered here?
Want to know more about vegan nutrition?
Want to find out more about going veggie?
Jane@vegetarian.org.uk or call 0117 9705190.