The buckwheat burgers are packed full of ingredients which will help boost your mood. They are one of the recipes which feature in our Mood Food Cookery Demonstrations. Other dishes include Scrambled Tofu and Indian Summer Salad.
1 tsp oil
115g/4oz roasted buckwheat
115g/4oz onion, diced
225g/8oz mushrooms, chopped
140ml/5fl oz red wine
140ml/5fl oz vegetable stock
225g/8oz spinach OR Swiss chard
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp sage
1 tbsp soya flour mixed with 2 tbsp water (acts as a binding agent)
Salt and black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5.
2. Heat oil in a frying pan and sauté the buckwheat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent sticking and burning.
3. Add onions and mushrooms and cook for a few more minutesm, then pour in the wine and stock and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, adding more stock if necessary.
5. Meanwhile, grind the walnuts finely and wash and cook spinach in its washing water (don’’t add extra) for 6 minutes.
6. Drain off any excess liquid from spinach and chop thoroughly.
7. When buckwheat is cooked, remove pan from heat and let cool slightly. Stir in walnuts and spinach and mix in the herbs and mix well.
8. Add soya flour mixture and mix in well, seasoning to taste.
9. If baking, divide mixture into 6 burgers, grease a baking tray and place burgers on it carefully. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the tops are dark brown. Turn over carefully and repeat.
10. Alternatively, use oil spray and fry gently in a non-stick frying pan for a minute or two each side.
Give us your email address and we'll deliver delicious animal free recipes straight to your inbox each week.
What originally started life as the VVF’s subscription-based vegetarian recipe club, has become a bound, colourful introduction to vegetarian & vegan nutrition, with an emphasis on getting your essential vits through veggies.
Deep-fried Vegetable Tempura - A Delicious Japanese-style Treat
This works very well with chilli or mushroom stroganoff – or...
A delicious filling dish for those wanting a lovely healthy curry -...
Sticky Tomato Toast
This is quick to prepare but slow to cook, so...
Steamed Brussels Sprouts with Black Pepper
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask Jane, our vegan guru!
Do you have a wonderful vegetarian recipe idea?
Got a veggie cookery quandary or vegan dietary dilemma that's not answered here?
Want to know more about vegan nutrition?
Want to find out more about going veggie?
Jane@vegetarian.org.uk or call 0117 9705190.