Golden Stuffed Squash
2 small squashes (eg acorn or small butternut squash)
3 cloves garlic
Low-cal oil spray
1 large sprig of fresh rosemary
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Filling 2 tsp olive oil 1 onion, finely chopped
10g/⅓3 oz dried mushrooms (porcini or mixed)
70g/2½ oz long grain rice
20g/¾ oz quick-cook wild rice
500ml/18fl oz vegetable stock
½ tsp chopped rosemary
2 tsp dried cranberries
1 tbsp pine nuts
1 heaped tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
2. Cut the squashes in half, remove all seeds with a spoon, and lightly mist the squash with oil spray.
3. Quarter the garlic cloves. Place some in the hollows of each squash piece and dot the rest around the edges of each squash half.
4. Add the rosemary needles and season with a little salt and black pepper.
5. Place in a roasting dish and roast for 45 minutes or until the flesh is soft.
6. While the squashes roast, prepare the filling.
In a saucepan, sauté the onion in the oil spray or oil until translucent and add the wild rice and vegetable stock.
7. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
8. Add the dried mushrooms, long grain rice, rosemary and dried cranberries.
9. Bring to the boil once more, then cover and simmer over a very low heat until the stock is absorbed and the rice is soft (about 20-25 minutes).
10. Meanwhile, make gravy, or a sauce such asRoasted Red Pepper Sauce and cook potatoes/other vegetables.
11. Once rice is cooked, stir in the pine nuts and chopped thyme.
12. Divide this filling between the four squash halves and return to the oven for 5 minutes. Serve hot with sauce or gravy.
Give us your email address and we'll deliver delicious animal free recipes straight to your inbox each week.
What originally started life as the VVF’s subscription-based vegetarian recipe club, has become a bound, colourful introduction to vegetarian & vegan nutrition, with an emphasis on getting your essential vits through veggies.
These are gorgeous with roast potatoes and parsnips, steamed broccoli and...
These are really good – try on a barbecue as well as in the kitchen....
A lovely variation on an old favourite. For alternative flavours, try ...
Frozen berries are a brilliant way to vary your fruit intake, especially in...
This is just delectable - all the rich creaminess of rice pudding with a...
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask Jane, our vegan guru!
Do you have a wonderful vegetarian recipe idea?
Got a veggie cookery quandary or vegan dietary dilemma that's not answered here?
Want to know more about vegan nutrition?
Want to find out more about going veggie?
Jane@vegetarian.org.uk or call 0117 9705190.