Kashmiri Cauliflower and Potato Curry
A Kashmiri-style Version of The Classic Cauliflower and Potato Curry
This lovely mellow curry is quite easy to make - steaming the potato and part-steaming the cauliflower makes it quicker and also reduces the amount of oil. Just get all the ingredients out before you start cooking and go for it!
Omit the cashew garnish for a nut-free option
3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped into medium-small pieces
1 large onion
4 garlic cloves
5cm/2 inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
3 medium tomatoes
3 tbsp oil, plain
1 large cauliflower, broken into florets
1 tsp turmeric
½ -1 tsp cayenne pepper, according to taste
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground cardamom seeds
4 bay leaves
1 tsp sugar or 2 tsp agave syrup
1 tsp salt
30g/1oz roasted cashews
How to break a cauliflower into florets
1. Steam the potatoes for 10-15 minutes, until tender but not mushy.
2. Add the cauliflower pieces to the steamer about 5 minutes before the end – you want to just tenderise the cauliflower, not cook it completely.
3. Blend the onion, garlic, ginger and tomatoes until they form a purée.
4. Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan and sauté the cauliflower until it starts to brown and is tender. Remove it from the pan and set aside.
5. Using the same saucepan, fry the tomato/ginger/garlic purée with the turmeric and cayenne for a minute or two. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook in for a few seconds, stirring well.
6. Return the cauliflower plus the potatoes to this mixture and stir gently, ensuring everything is well-coated in the mixture and heated through properly.
7. Garnish with the cashews and raisins. Serve with rice and/or chapattis
Give us your email address and we'll deliver delicious animal free recipes straight to your inbox each week.
What originally started life as the VVF’s subscription-based vegetarian recipe club, has become a bound, colourful introduction to vegetarian & vegan nutrition, with an emphasis on getting your essential vits through veggies.
A tangy sauce to serve with our...
Prepare the salsa first, so the flavour can develop while you make the...
This soup is fresh, tasty and aromatic!
Viva!’s own Tony Wardle invented this superb dish – it was a...
This Sea Spicy Tofu recipe is in honour of the many times we have enjoyed...
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask Jane, our vegan guru!
Do you have a wonderful vegetarian recipe idea?
Got a veggie cookery quandary or vegan dietary dilemma that's not answered here?
Want to know more about vegan nutrition?
Want to find out more about going veggie?
Jane@vegetarian.org.uk or call 0117 9705190.