Lentil and Broccoli Gratin
Recommended age of child: from 8 months
Freeze time: 8-10 weeks
175g/6oz red split lentils
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
2.5cm/1inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
350g/12oz broccoli, washed, trimmed, divided into florets
Juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Grated cheese (optional)
1. Put the lentils into a saucepan with 600ml/1pint water, bring to the boil, and then let them simmer for 20-30 minutes, until they are soft and pale.
2. Heat half the oil in another pan, add the onion and ginger and cook for 10 minutes, uncovered so that it browns a bit, stirring from time to time.
3. Steam the broccoli until it is just tender, then put it in the base of a shallow gratin dish.
4. Put the lentils into a food processor or liquidiser, with the onion mixture and the lemon, and whizz to a smooth puree. It should be the consistency of double cream; add some water or milk if it is too thick. Season.
5. Pour the lentil puree evenly over the broccoli. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs and remaining oil on top or the crumbs and cheese (if you use the cheese, you won’t need the extra oil).
6. Put under a moderate grill for about 20 minutes, until the top is brown and the inside piping hot. Alternatively, bake at 190ºC/375ºF/Gas Mark 5 for 30-40 minutes.
Give us your email address and we'll deliver delicious animal free recipes straight to your inbox each week.
What originally started life as the VVF’s subscription-based vegetarian recipe club, has become a bound, colourful introduction to vegetarian & vegan nutrition, with an emphasis on getting your essential vits through veggies.
A beautiful, fresh and tangy Middle-Eastern salad made from bulghur –...
A great family recipe!
Recommended age of child: from 1 year
Steamed Brussels Sprouts with Black Pepper
Who needs eggs when there is this delicious scrambled tofu recipe? ...
This is such a lovely dessert!
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask Jane, our vegan guru!
Do you have a wonderful vegetarian recipe idea?
Got a veggie cookery quandary or vegan dietary dilemma that's not answered here?
Want to know more about vegan nutrition?
Want to find out more about going veggie?
Jane@vegetarian.org.uk or call 0117 9705190.