Miniature Creamed Pea and Tarragon Pithiviers
Pithiviers are little puff pastry pies and make a beautiful Christmas starter or party buffet dish. This particular version is lovely, the onions and peas combining beautifully with the vegan creme cheeze and herbs.
Our suggested accompaniment - roast tomatoes - can be cooked in the oven at the same time. Slice up chunks of vine tomatoes, drizzle them with a little olive oil, salt and black pepper and place on a separate tray in the oven.
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp vegan margarine, eg Pure, Vitalite, Biona, Suma
125g/4½oz vegan cream cheese with herbs and garlic (Tofutti, from health food shops)
2 tbsp dried tarragon
Handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
150g/5½oz frozen peas
2 packets puff pastry sheets (Jus Rol is vegan, or many supermarkets’ own brand)
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/400°FGas Mark 6. Prepare the tomatoes for roasting if using - put them in the oven while you prepare the Pithiviers.
2. Melt the margarine in a small frying pan and then cook the onion until soft.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Mix in the other ingredients until they are evenly distributed, seasoning to taste.
4. Lay out the two sheets of puff pastry. Cut 16 circles using an 8cm cutter and 16 from a 7cm cutter.
5. Grease a large baking tray. Lay out the smaller circles evenly on it. Place a tablespoon of creamed pea filling in the centre of each.
6. Brush around the edge of each circle with soya milk, then lay a bigger circle of pastry on the top of each. Press the edges down with a fork and score around the top using a knife.
7. Bake for around 25 minutes until risen and golden.
8. Serve with roasted vine tomatoes and mixed leaves.
Give us your email address and we'll deliver delicious animal free recipes straight to your inbox each week.
What originally started life as the VVF’s subscription-based vegetarian recipe club, has become a bound, colourful introduction to vegetarian & vegan nutrition, with an emphasis on getting your essential vits through veggies.
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask Jane, our vegan guru!
Do you have a wonderful vegetarian recipe idea?
Got a veggie cookery quandary or vegan dietary dilemma that's not answered here?
Want to know more about vegan nutrition?
Want to find out more about going veggie?
Jane@vegetarian.org.uk or call 0117 9705190.