This Nut-Stuffed Mushroom recipe is adapted from Vegetarian Cooking Without by Barbara Cousins. Photo courtesy of Corin Jeavons.
5 large flat mushrooms (1 per person plus 1 extra mushroom for the stuffing)
1 large onion
2 garlic cloves
2 tsp olive oil
60g mixed unsalted nuts (brazils/hazelnuts/almonds/walnuts)
1 tbsp vegan margarine
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1 tbsp chopped fresh herbs eg parsley, fennel, dill, chives
salt and pepper to taste.
1. Cut the stems from the mushrooms and finely dice these along with one whole mushroom.
2. Preheat the oven to 400F/200C/Gas Mark 6.
3. Finely dice the onion and crush the garlic cloves.
4. Place the onion and garlic in a saucepan with the olive oil and sweat them in the oil until the onion is soft and beginning to brown. Add the chopped mushroom stalks and sweat the vegetables for a few more minutes.
5. Lightly toast the mixed nuts in a medium oven or grill and remove the skins.
6. Grind the mixed nuts fairly finely in a food processor or using a mortar and pestle and add to the pan along with the margarine, dried herbs, fresh herbs and salt and pepper to taste. Mix to combine.
7. Place the field mushrooms, stem side up, on a baking tray. Divide the mixture between the mushrooms and spread over the surface of each one.
8. Bake in the oven for 5-8 minutes or until the tops are beginning to brown and the mushrooms are just cooked. Serve 2-3 mushrooms on each plate along with a salad garnish.
Give us your email address and we'll deliver delicious animal free recipes straight to your inbox each week.
What originally started life as the VVF’s subscription-based vegetarian recipe club, has become a bound, colourful introduction to vegetarian & vegan nutrition, with an emphasis on getting your essential vits through veggies.
A classic with a modern twist. Serve with a green salad. The risotto is...
A quick, easy chilli with the addition of olives - not traditionally a South...
Men's Extra: 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds (34 cals)...
A nice dish for a special occasion. It is made in several stages, none of...
Slow-Cooked Beans with Tomatoes, Herbs & Red Wine
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask Jane, our vegan guru!
Do you have a wonderful vegetarian recipe idea?
Got a veggie cookery quandary or vegan dietary dilemma that's not answered here?
Want to know more about vegan nutrition?
Want to find out more about going veggie?
Jane@vegetarian.org.uk or call 0117 9705190.