Pumpkin, Ginger & Coconut Soup
A tasty, nourishing soup - just the job after seasonal excess!
850-875g de-seeded pumpkin (before peeling) – approximately half a large pumpkin
1 red onion, peeled and chopped roughly
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed or finely chopped
1 tbsp good quality oil, eg cold-pressed rapeseed or olive oil
1½ tbsp grated fresh ginger
¼ tsp chilli powder
½ tsp allspice
½ tsp cinnamon
¾ cup moong dahl or orange lentils, washed and drained
1L strong stock
¼ cup vegan coconut yoghurt, eg Co-Yo. If you can’t get it, use 2 tbsp plain soya yoghurt and grate in a lump of creamed coconut about the size of a small clementine
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Peel the pumpkin and chop roughly into medium chunks.
2. Lightly fry the onion until it starts to turn translucent. Add the garlic, cook in for a minute or so then add the pumpkin.
3. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring regularly, then add the spices and cook in for about a minute.
4. Add the hot stock and lentils. Stir everything well, bring to the boil then reduce to a strong simmer until the lentils are cooked.
5. Blend the soup then stir in the coconut yoghurt. Taste and add salt if necessary – plus lots of freshly ground black pepper.
Give us your email address and we'll deliver delicious animal free recipes straight to your inbox each week.
What originally started life as the VVF’s subscription-based vegetarian recipe club, has become a bound, colourful introduction to vegetarian & vegan nutrition, with an emphasis on getting your essential vits through veggies.
We love this cheatin' reduction! It is quicker to make than the usual...
Moist and yummy, these all-vegan chocolate brownies hit the spot and are...
A slightly nutty-flavoured, creamy soup that is very easy to make and...
Maple Syrup & Mustard Sweet Potatoes A delicious and unusual side dish...
Sweet and Sour Shallots
Can't find what you're looking for? Ask Jane, our vegan guru!
Do you have a wonderful vegetarian recipe idea?
Got a veggie cookery quandary or vegan dietary dilemma that's not answered here?
Want to know more about vegan nutrition?
Want to find out more about going veggie?
Jane@vegetarian.org.uk or call 0117 9705190.